Friday, January 2, 2009

And so it begins, with naught but a word of encouragement from my wife.

If something is worth doing, then it is worth doing well, or so my grandfather believed. I've learned a lot of things about a variety of topics from a lot of people: parents, grandparents, friends, loved ones, professors and paupers. I'd like to think that my greatest teacher has been the Lord, though I realize that I should spend far more time picking His brain.

Encouragement, however, is something that I have learned from three people: first, my mother encouraged me to like and appreciate myself, to have confidence and self-respect; second, my father encouraged me to believe that nothing is beyond my grasp if I work for it; and, third, my wife has encouraged me to take the first step.

My hope is that, one day, looking back on my life, people will care to ask me why, after so many abandoned attempts, I finally decided to write. Maybe, if I am blessed, they will ask what inspired me to do so. When that day comes, I will tell them that:

"It began, with naught but a word of encouragement from my wife, who convinced me that there were people out there who wanted to read the things I had to write."

No one subject compels or interest me above all others, and I find it hard to believe that people want to read what I might write about, but I try to take seriously the things my wife says. More so than myself, Stephanie has a feeling for what "normal" people do and think. Not being even remotely normal myself, I appreciate having her as a compass to point me in the correct direction. Personally, I think it is wisest to write about things that interest you, so that is what I intend to do until someone has a better idea.

Therefore, I intend to write about truth, religion, politics, law, relationships, dating, and marriage. If those subjects don't seem interrelated to you, my many prospective readers, then you probably do need to read some of the things I intend to write.

As an attorney, it could be said that I get paid to give advice. While I may write blogs that contain advice, any advice given cannot be taken as legal advice. If you want quality advice or counsel, you need to see an attorney in real life and let him/her advise you with the benefit of all the information you can give him/her (lies an omissions only hurt the advice-seeker, not the advisor). Nothing written on this site is intended as legal advice nor should it be relied upon as such. There is no attorney-client relationship between the author of this blog and any reader unless the author agrees, in writing, to such enter into such a relationship. Thanks.

Now that the disclaimer has been given, I will feel silly if no one reads my blog, but my wife believes someone will. And I trust my wife.

2 comments:

  1. After all this, there is only one thing to say: Have reverence for God, and obey his commands, because this is all that we were created for. ECCLESIASTES 12:13 TEV

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Paul - you have the honor of being the firt person to comment on a blog of mine. You also gain special notice for posting one of the deepest, most meaningful verses in the Bible. After all, Jesus came to testify to the truth (John 18:37), so that we could do just that: have reverence for God and obey His commands.

    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete